I was bold enough to ask jlcollinsnh on his view on this whole index investing for Europeans situation. His advice can be read in the comments section right here. You can read the contents of three emails we sent each other.
His own considerations when choosing an index fund are these:
1. If you can do business with Vanguard, do so as they are the only investment company out there that puts the interests of their customers first.
2. Buy broad based index funds.
3. Costs matter hugely.
4. Keep it simple.
In our case we:
1. Do favour Vanguard indeed, after having read a lot about Vanguard and Jack Bogle. Also, the statistics don’t lie. Vanguard almost always (if not: always?) outperforms other index funds based on the same benchmark.
2. Like the idea of broad based index funds very much.
3. Are comparing costs like crazy
4. Yeah, that tends to become an issue.
We still haven’t decided on what to do. But we’re getting there.